1. Two of the following texts characterize social and economic changes which took place in Quebec during the first phase of industrialization (1867-1896).
2. Mining became an important aspect of the Quebec economy.
3. Houses were hurriedly built to meet the needs of a rapidly growing urban population.
4. "The question is this. We must either have Confederation or be taken over by the United States".
5. American capital became important in the Quebec economy, particularly after the First World War.
B) WHICH TEXT RELATES TO AN ECONOMIC CHANGE DURING THIS PERIOD
? Text _____
2. WHICH THREE OF THE FOLLOWING STATEMENTS CHARACTERIZE QUEBEC SOCIETY WITHIN CONFEDERATION BETWEEN 1867 AND 1896?
2. French Canadians emigrated to the United States in large numbers.
3. Women obtained the right to vote in Quebec.
4. In working class districts every family could afford to have good medical treatment.
5. The Roman Catholic Church continued to maintain a great influence over the people.
6. The government did nothing to modernize farming in Quebec.
ECONOMIC ASPECT ____
SOCIAL ASPECT ____
POLITICAL ASPECT ____
4. WHICH THREE STATEMENTS DESCRIBE QUEBEC SOCIETY IN THE PERIOD 1867 -1896 ?
2. The opening of new areas of colonization: Laurentians, Saguenay-Lac St.-Jean
3. Reciprocity with the United States
4. Well-paid workers and good working conditions
5. The forming of the first labour unions
6. Equal wages for men and women doing similar work
ASSOCIATE EACH OF THE PROBLEMS PRESENTED BELOW WITH A PROPOSED SOLUTION.
6. ON THE TIME LINE, PLACE AN X IN THE BOX THAT DESIGNATES THE HISTORICAL PERIOD COVERED BY THE FOLLOWING THREE DOCUMENTS.
7. FROM EACH OF THE FOLLOWING SETS, SELECT THE ELEMENT WHICH CHARACTERIZES QUEBEC SOCIETY IN THE PERIOD 1867-1896.
8. Between 1850 and 1867, the United Province of Canada faced serious problems. At the political level, no government remained in power for very long and ministerial instability paralyzed parliament. At the economic level, the American government refused to renew the Reciprocity Treaty and Canada had to find a new market for its goods. This situation led politicians to adopt a political solution that would profoundly affect the future of Canadian politics. The solution was planned at three important conferences : Charlottetown, Quebec, and London.
WHAT IS THE NAME GIVEN TO THE SOLUTION IMPLEMENTED IN 1867, WHICH WOULD SHAPE THE FUTURE OF THE CANADIAN POLITICAL SYSTEM ?
9. FROM EACH SET, CHOOSE THE FACTOR THAT CAN BE ASSOCIATED WITH THE FIRST PHASE OF INDUSTRIALIZATION IN QUEBEC.
10. WHICH THREE DOCUMENTS REPRESENT CHANGES THAT OCCURRED IN QUEBEC SOCIETY IN THE PERIOD BETWEEN 1867 AND 1896 ?
2. The increase in population created a larger Canadian domestic market.
3. The government feared that the Americans would seize parts of the West if it were left unsettled.
The government encouraged
Canada lacked the means
Canadian businesses could now
1. SOCIAL CHANGE: Text 3
ECONOMIC CHANGE: Text 1
3. ECONOMIC ASPECT:
1 SOCIAL ASPECT:
5 POLITICAL ASPECT:
5. PROBLEMS SOLUTIONS
7. ECONOMIC: Shoe and textile industries
SOCIAL: Deplorable living and working conditions
The first laws governing working conditions
8. Confederation or British North America
Act or Federation