1. During the War of the Conquest, a comparison between the Thirteen Colonies and New France would have signalled the fall of New France.
INDICATE WHETHER THE FOLLOWING CHARACTERISTICS DESCRIBE NEW FRANCE OR THE THIRTEEN COLONIES.
THIRTEEN COLONIES : ________________________________________________________________
2. With the Treaty of Paris, New France became a British colony. London issued the Royal Proclamation in an attempt to assimilate the Canadiens.
DESCRIBE A MAJOR CHANGE BROUGHT ABOUT BY THE ROYAL PROCLAMATION TO NEW FRANCE'S :
Civil and criminal law
3. The Treaty of Paris and the Royal Proclamation confirmed in law the British conquest of New France. French Canadiens had no choice but to accept this new situation.
IN WHICH YEAR DID THIS CHANGE OF EMPIRE BEGIN TO TAKE PLACE ?
4. The Seven Years War in Europe had many consequences in North America, including the following three events:
1. The Conquest
MATCH EACH DESCRIPTION BELOW WITH ONE OF THE ABOVE EVENTS.
A) Britain established the boundaries of a new colony, the Province of Quebec. _____
B) The French army was defeated on the Plains of Abraham and Montreal surrendered the following year. _____
C) The King of France officially surrendered all of his possessions
in North America to Britain except for the St. Pierre and Miquelon Islands.
5. DURING THE WAR OF THE CONQUEST, WHAT WERE TWO RESOURCES THE ENGLISH COLONIES FOUGHT FOR?
1. The farmland
of the St. Lawrence Lowlands
6. In 1783, England recognized American Independence. The Thirteen Colonies became the United States of America.
WHAT WAS THE IMMEDIATE CONSEQUENCE OF AMERICAN INDEPENDENCE ON SETTLEMENT IN THE PROVINCE OF QUEBEC ?
military strengths (fleets) :
colonial empires :
8. The events outlined below occurred between 1760 and 1791.
PLACE THESE EVENTS IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER.
1. Quebec Act
3. Treaty of Paris
9. The Conquest brought about many significant changes in New France. Some elements of society, however did not change.
INDICATE WHETHER EACH STATEMENT BELOW ILLUSTRATES CONTINUITY OR CHANGE.
1. The British
imposed their laws and political structure on the colony.
CONTINUITY : _____ and _____
CHANGE : _____,
10. In the following text, historian Guy Frégault analyzes the consequence of a major event in the history of Canada.
Small military force Large military force
Extensive territory Limited territory
Single product (furs) Diversified economy
A new boundary which confined the Province of Quebec to a small territory on the St. Lawrence.
7. Populations in North America
10. The Conquest of New France