1. WHICH TWO OF THE FOLLOWING STATEMENTS DESCRIBE THE WAY OF LIFE OF THE ALGONQUIANS?
2. Their diet was based on hunting, fishing and gathering ; hunters ensured the group's survival.
3. Many families lived together in long wooden houses. They owned farming equipment.
4. They lived in large groups in villages; the mother was the head of the family.
5. Chiefs were elected by women; the chiefs managed village affairs and made the important decisions.
B) 1 and 5 D) 3 and 5
2. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING STATEMENTS DESCRIBES NEW FRANCE IN THE 17TH CENTURY ?
A) France was interested in the colony because of its large deposits of gold.
B) Mercantilism favoured the colony's industrial development.
C) The search for furs led to the expansion of the territory of New France.
D) Amerindian tribes refused to hunt beaver for the French.
3. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING STATEMENTS ILLUSTRATES A CONSEQUENCE OF THE APPLICATION OF MERCANTILISM IN NEW FRANCE ?
A) New France was a trading colony whose main economic role was to supply furs to the mother country.
B) Fur traders tried as much as possible to diversify the economy of New France with the help of the colonists.
C) The population of the colony grew rapidly because companies needed large numbers of workers.
D) In the New World, important trade relations emerged between New France,
New England and the West Indies.
4. WHICH THREE OF THE FOLLOWING STATEMENTS CHARACTERIZE THE FUR TRADE IN NORTH AMERICA DURING THE FRENCH REGIME ?
2. Under Talon's administration, more than 2500 immigrants settled in New France.
3. Wood was exported to British markets in several forms.
4. The French presence in the Ohio region prevented any western expansion of the English colonies .
5. 70 % of New France's exports to the mother country consisted of furs.
6. 90 % of New France's exports to the mother country consisited of timber and agricultural products.
B) 1, 4, 5 D) 3, 4, 6
5. WHICH PAIR OF STATEMENTS DESCRIBES A GOAL OF FRANCE AND A RESULT OBTAINED BY JACQUES CARTIER?
A) To perfect the compass. He proved that the world was round.
B) To find a new route to Asia. He claimed territory in the name of France.
C) To improve existing maps. He mapped the Canadian Shield.
D) To convert native populations.
He brought back spices and silk.
6. WHICH GEOGRAPHICAL FEATURE FAVOURED THE EXPLORATION OF NORTH AMERICA?
A) The extensive system of rivers and lakes C) The temperate climate
B) Rich and fertile soils D) The variety of natural resources
7. WHICH THREE OF THE CHARACTERISTICS BELOW DID THE IROQUOIANS AND ALGONQUIANS HAVE IN COMMON?
2. Housing 5. The belief in life after death
3. The use of canoes 6. The cultivation of maize, squash and tobacco
B) 1, 3, 5 D) 4, 5, 6
8. A certain French explorer accomplished the following things during his voyages to America.
1400 1450 1500 1550 1600
2. To find precious metals.
3. To convert native populations to Christianity.
4. To sell surplus furs.
5. To establish colonies in Asia.
B) 2 and 5 D) 4 and 5
10. WHICH ONE OF THE FOLLOWING STATEMENTS CORRECTLY DESCRIBES A LINK BETWEEN GEOGRAPHY AND SETTLEMENT IN NEW FRANCE DURING THE 17TH CENTURY ?
A) The Appalachians were a natural barrier between the Iroquois territory and the French colony.
B) The Canadian Shield made settlement of the colony easier.
C) Harsh winters forced the French colonists to settle further south in the Appalachians.
D) The St. Lawrence River attracted colonists to settle in the lowlands.
11. WHICH THREE DOCUMENTS CHARACTERIZE THE FUR TRADE UNDER THE
FRENCH REGIME ? CHOOSE ONE DOCUMENT FROM EACH OF THE
A) nomadic / wigwam / hunting / gathering / patriarchal
B) nomadic / longhouse / farming/ hunting / matriarchal
C) sedentary / wigwam / hunting /gathering / matriarchal
D) sedentary / longhouse / farming / hunting / patriarchal
13. The great explorations of the 15th and 16th centuries were led primarily by four countries: Portugal, Spain, England and France.
FOR WHICH TWO OF THE FOLLOWING REASONS DID EUROPEAN KINGS, MERCHANTS AND BANKERS SUPPORT THESE GREAT EXPLORATIONS?
2. The need to find lands rich in all types of fur.
3. The need to find a new, easier and more direct route to the Orient.
4. The growing demand for gold and other precious metals needed for financing commercial trade.
5. The desire of the Amerindians to convert to Catholicism.
B) 2 and 3 D) 4 and 5
14. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING SETS OF STATEMENTS APPLIES TO THE POLICY OF MERCANTILISM?
A) The colony was free to develop its industries.
B) The colony could trade freely with other mother countries.
C) The colony exploited furs in particular.
15. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING CHARACTERISTICS APPLIED ONLY TO THE ALGONQUINS ?
2. Methods of transportation 5. Religious beliefs
3. Growing of corn 6. Patriarchal system
B) 1, 4 and 6 D) 4, 5 and 6
16. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING STATEMENTS REFLECTS THE MERCANTILIST POLICIES PRACTISED BY FRANCE WITH RESPECT TO NEW FRANCE IN THE MID-17TH CENTURY?
A) France favoured the fur trade at the expanse of settlement.
B) France insisted that raw materials be converted into finished products in the colony.
C) France promoted trade between New France and the English colonies to the south.
D) New France was solely responsible for its own needs.
17. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING DESCRIBES HOW AMERINDIAN LIFE WAS AFFECTED BY THE ARRIVAL OF THE EUROPEANS?
A) There was greater unity between the different Amerindian tribes.
C) Amerindian traditions were preserved and continued to develop.
D) The Amerindians adopted a sedentary way of life.
18. In the 16th century, Jacques Cartier undertook three voyages to North America on behalf of France.
WHAT WERE TWO RESULTS OF JACQUES CARTIER'S VOYAGES?
2. He mapped the area surrounding the St. Lawrence River and its gulf.
3. He discovered a route to Asia.
4. He took back gold and spices.
5. He claimed the territory for France.
B) 2 and 5 D) 3 and 5
19. WHICH TWO OF THE FOLLOWING ROLES WERE RESPONSIBILITIES OF IROQUOIAN WOMEN ?
2. They were responsible for farming.
3. They were the shamans (priests) of the village.
4. They went to live in their husband's wigwam.
5. They hunted and fished to feed the family.
B) 1 and 4 D) 3 and 5
20. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING STATEMENTS ARE ASSOCIATED WITH THE ESTABLISHMENT OF A TRADING COLONY ?
2. France wanted to recreate its way of life in New France.
3. France invested little, thus allowing the chartered companies to operate freely.
4. The high density of the population made it easy to defend the territory
5. The exploitation of a single resource was the driving force behind the development of the colony.
B) 2 and 5 D) 3 and 5
1. A 11. C
2. C 12. A
3. A 13. C
4. B 14. D
5. B 15. B
6. A 16. A
7. B 17. B