Module 1 Test
1. WHICH TWO OF THE FOLLOWING STATEMENTS
DESCRIBE THE WAY OF LIFE OF
1. They lived in the Canadian
Shield in wooded areas with abundant game.
2. Their diet was based on hunting,
fishing and gathering ; hunters ensured the group's survival.
3. Many families lived together
in long wooden houses. They owned farming equipment.
4. They lived in large groups in
villages; the mother was the head of the family.
5. Chiefs were elected by women;
the chiefs managed village affairs and made the important decisions.
1 and 2
1 and 5
2 and 4
3 and 5
2. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING STATEMENTS
DESCRIBES NEW FRANCE IN THE 17TH CENTURY ?
France was interested in the colony because of its large deposits of gold.
Mercantilism favoured the colony's industrial development.
The search for furs led to the expansion of the territory of New France.
Amerindian tribes refused to hunt beaver for the French.
3. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING STATEMENTS
ILLUSTRATES A CONSEQUENCE OF THE APPLICATION OF MERCANTILISM
IN NEW FRANCE ?
New France was a trading colony whose main economic role was to supply
furs to the mother country
Fur traders tried as much as possible to diversify the economy of New France
with the help of the colonists.
The population of the colony grew rapidly because companies needed large
numbers of workers.
In the New World, important trade relations emerged between New France,
New England and the West Indies.
4. WHICH THREE OF THE FOLLOWING
STATEMENTS CHARACTERIZE THE FUR TRADE IN NORTH AMERICA DURING
THE FRENCH REGIME ?
1. Many young people left
the farm to become coureurs des bois.
2. Under Talon's administration,
more than 2500 immigrants settled in New France.
3. Wood was exported to British
markets in several forms.
4. The French presence in the Ohio
region prevented any western expansion of the English colonies .
5. 70 % of New France's exports
to the mother country consisted of furs.
6. 90 % of New France's exports
to the mother country consisited of timber and agricultural products.
1, 2, 6
1, 4, 5
2, 3, 5
3, 4, 6
5. WHICH PAIR OF STATEMENTS
DESCRIBES A GOAL OF FRANCE AND A RESULT OBTAINED BY JACQUES
To perfect the compass.
He proved that the world was round.
To find a new route to Asia.
He claimed territory in the name of France.
To improve existing maps.
He mapped the Canadian Shield.
To convert native populations.
He brought back spices and silk.
6. WHICH GEOGRAPHICAL FEATURE
FAVOURED THE EXPLORATION OF NORTH AMERICA?
The extensive system of rivers and lakes
Rich and fertile soils
The temperate climate
The variety of natural resources
7. WHICH THREE OF THE CHARACTERISTICS
BELOW DID THE IROQUOIANS AND ALGONQUIANS HAVE IN COMMON?
4. The role played by women
5. The belief in life after death
3. The use of canoes
6. The cultivation of maize, squash and tobacco
8. A certain French explorer accomplished
the following things during his voyages to America.
9.INDICATE TWO REASONS
FOR EUROPEAN VOYAGES IN THE 15TH AND 16 TH CENTURIES.
1. To find a new ocean route
2. To find precious metals.
3. To convert native populations
4. To sell surplus furs.
5. To establish colonies in Asia.
2 and 5
3 and 4
4 and 5
10. WHICH ONE OF THE FOLLOWING STATEMENTS
CORRECTLY DESCRIBES A LINK BETWEEN GEOGRAPHY AND SETTLEMENT IN NEW
FRANCE DURING THE 17th CENTURY ?
The Appalachians were a natural barrier between the Iroquois territory
and the French colony.
The Canadian Shield made settlement of the colony easier.
Harsh winters forced the French colonists to settle further south in the
The St. Lawrence River attracted colonists to settle in the lowlands.
11.WHICH 3 DOCUMENTS CHARACTERIZE
THE FUR TRADE UNDER THE FRENCH REGIME ? CHOOSE
ONE DOCUMENT FROM EACH OF THE THREE CATEGORIES.
Talon took up Champlain's strategy
of overall development of the colony. The idea was to create a number of
industries, thereby making New France less dependent on the mother country,
that is, more self-sufficient.
Mercantilism was an economic doctrine
whose purpose was to make money for the mother country. France imported
raw materials from its colonies and transformed them into finished products
to be sold back to the colonies and to other countries
The total population is estimated
at 64 500, of whom 55 000 live in the seigneurial region of the St. Lawrence
Valley. The rest of the population is spread over a vast territory extending
from Louisiana to Acadia.
The king's administrators adopted
measures to increase the population on New France. Their first concern
French possession in North America
extended, in a broad arc, from New France to the Gulf of Mexico, linked
by the great continental water systems of the St. Lawrence, the Great Lakes,
and the Mississippi.
Quebec's territory was limited to
the St. Lawrence and Ottawa valleys.
1, 3, 5
1, 4, 6
2, 3, 5
2, 4, 6
12. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING COMBINATIONS
DESCRIBES THE ALGONQUIANS?
nomadic / wigwam / hunting / gathering / patriarchal
nomadic / longhouse / farming/ hunting / matriarchal
sedentary / wigwam / hunting /gathering / matriarchal
sedentary / longhouse / farming / hunting / patriarchal
13. The great explorations of the
15th and 16th centuries were led primarily by four countries: Portugal,
Spain, England and France.
FOR WHICH TWO OF THE FOLLOWING REASONS
DID EUROPEAN KINGS, MERCHANTS AND BANKERS SUPPORT THESE GREAT EXPLORATIONS?
1. The need to find waters
rich in all types of fish.
2. The need to find lands rich in
all types of fur.
3. The need to find a new, easier
and more direct route to the Orient.
4. The growing demand for gold and
other precious metals needed for financing commercial trade.
5. The desire of the Amerindians
to convert to Catholicism.
The colony was free to develop its industries.
The colony had to expand its boundaries to the maximum.
The colony could trade freely with other mother countries.
The colony sold its manufactured goods to France.
The colony exploited furs in particular.
The colony was quickly settled because of the chartered companies.
The colony was a source of raw materials for France.
The colony bought manufactured goods from France.
15. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING CHARACTERISTICS
APPLIED ONLY TO ALGONQUINS ?
1. Nomadic way of life
4. Hunting and gathering
2. Methods of transportation
5. Religious beliefs
3. Growing of corn
6. Patriarchal system
16. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING STATEMENTS
REFLECTS THE MERCANTILIST POLICIES PRACTISED BY FRANCE WITH RESPECT
TO NEW FRANCE IN THE MID-17TH CENTURY?
France favoured the fur trade at the expanse of settlement.
France insisted that raw materials be converted into finished products
in the colony.
France promoted trade between New France and the English colonies to the
New France was solely responsible for its own needs.
17. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING DESCRIBES
HOW AMERINDIAN LIFE WAS AFFECTED BY THE ARRIVAL OF THE EUROPEANS?
There was greater unity between the different Amerindian tribes.
The Amerindians became dependent on European goods.
Amerindian traditions were preserved and continued to develop.
The Amerindians adopted a sedentary way of life.
18. In the 16th century, Jacques
Cartier undertook three voyages to North America on behalf of France.
WHAT WERE TWO RESULTS OF JACQUES
1. He established a settlement
2. He mapped the area surrounding
the St. Lawrence River and its gulf.
3. He discovered a route to Asia.
4. He took back gold and spices.
5. He claimed the territory for
19. WHICH TWO OF THE FOLLOWING ROLES
WERE RESPONSIBILITIES OF IROQUOIAN WOMEN ?
1. They elected the chiefs.
2. They were responsible for farming.
3. They were the shamans (priests)
of the village.
4. They went to live in their husband's
5. They hunted and fished to feed
20. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING STATEMENTS
ARE ASSOCIATED WITH THE ESTABLISHMENT OF A TRADING COLONY ?
1. The costs of transporting
and settling the population were paid by the King.
2. France wanted to recreate its
way of life in New France.
3. France invested little, thus
allowing the chartered companies to operate freely.
4. The high density of the population
made it easy to defend the territory
5. The exploitation of a single
resource was the driving force behind the development of the colony.
If you got more than 80%
(16+) Congratulations you will be sent on to
If not, you will be directed
to a TUTORIAL after which you can re-take this Test.